Peak Nutrition is about finding the optimal way for each of us as individuals to eat by using food to maximise the potential for health and performance.
There is no single “right diet” that applies to all of us. We have different genetic backgrounds, different preferences, and different lives.
We all want to be healthy and perform at our best, but most of us haven’t figured out just how to make food and dietary patterns serve that goal.
Peak Nutrition offers the concepts, strategies, and tools to make that happen!
Peak Nutrition Fundamentals
- For untold centuries, humans have relied on the food supply as a source of energy, health, and connection. However, in the last 6 or 7 decades, changes in the food supply (and in how we use it) have contributed strongly to the growing epidemic of chronic disease. Peak Nutrition developed out of a desire to change that picture.
- Emerging science is very clear that food is a powerful influence on health. Food offers not only the calories that fuel our body’s metabolism (engine), but it also contains many diverse components that play important roles in all our bodily functions. Poor-quality food can actually create disease, and high-quality food (in the right proportions and amounts) can reverse disease and sustain health. In a very real sense, food is medicine!
How Foods Affects Our Health
There are 3 basic elements in our diets:
- Macronutrients: proteins, fats, and carbs that are the building blocks of all food
- Micronutrients: vitamins and minerals
- Phytonutrients: plant-derived substances that have a positive effect on health a positive effect on health
Processed foods involve alterations in the food supply that interfere with the best use of those basic elements. Practices such as hydrogenating oils, adding sugar and sweeteners, processing the life out of grains, applying toxic agricultural chemicals, or using trans fats may make the food have a longer shelf-life or look prettier or appeal to our sweet tooth, but, as a steady diet, they make us sick.
Food is actually information, not just energy (calories). Food actually tells our bodies how to function by signalling exactly when and how each different type of cell should behave in every situation. So, we want the very best information to reach our cells in order to achieve optimal functioning.
Food Is More Than Energy And Information
- Food also represents connection: families preparing and eating food together, affirming cultural bonds, enjoying celebrations and ceremonies.
- The loss of the shared family meal with food prepared from scratch has been part of the transformation that is feeding the chronic disease cycle.
How Does Peak Nutrition Work?
Peak Nutrition emphasises healthful eating personalised to YOUR genetics, lifestyle, environment, and health concerns.
Peak Nutrition offers effective strategies and tools to improve your health, including weekly food and shopping schedules, healthful recipes, and recommendations about cooking and food storage methods, as well as steps to achieve mindful eating.
In our Peak Health Method package, we help you understand and implement your personalised food plan, and give you access to a wealth of additional information to educate and support you in adopting a new approach to food and nutrition. We also determine whether other interventions are needed.
Changing eating behaviours isn’t easy, even after you are well informed about what to do. There will be ups and downs. But, unlike a diet, these changes are not harsh, short-term restrictions on your eating and they do not involve counting calories or depriving yourself of delicious, satisfying food.
They are scientifically sound approaches that can benefit you for a lifetime! In fact, if you begin with a few basic concepts, you will already be on your path: eat fresh, eat colour, eat texture, and (from, best-selling author Michael Pollan) “eat real food, not too much, mostly plants”.
Welcome to Peak Nutrition – the most effective way to harness the energy, information, and connections of food to create health and reverse disease!
Are You Ready To Reach Your Health & Performance Potential?
Schedule your FREE 20-minute call to find out how we can help you be your best.